It can be defined as the responsibility of the pharmacist in reducing the symptoms and slowing or stopping the progression of the disease. The pharmacist is responsible for drug therapy and achieving the desired therapeutic goals and improving patient’s quality of life.
Pharmacist has the sufficient knowledge and understanding of the medications and can be very helpful in ascertaining the patient health. They can be the best coordinators between the patient and the physicians. Pharmacist is responsible for sharing the health information with other healthcare providers to get best health outcome. It is the responsibility of the Pharmacist for documenting the patient’s health progress and updating the information to their physicians for taking the necessary steps for further treatment. Also there are other pharmacist who are specialized in the treatment of social anxiety disorder, dealing with anxiety, anxiety disorder treatment and many more to get rid out of anxiety. There are online pharmacies who provides online prescription to an individual suffering from anxiety disorders.
The future of Pharmaceutical care includes:
- Training pharmacist prescribes
- Developing advanced clinical skills in pharmacists
- Teach and treat clinics to learn and practice as pharmacist prescribers
- To work as prescribes in multidisciplinary practice
- Prescribing Safety Assessment to work as an pharmacist independent prescribers
- Improving patient information access system by using the modern technologies
- It is very important to evaluate the results obtained after initiation of Pharmaceutical Care practice hence an evaluation system based on automated technologies is important.
- Evaluation of dispensing methods
- Linking primary healthcare centers, community practices and GP services
- Introduction of acute assessment system in emergency situation.
- Taking input from the patients to improve the services offered. Appointment of Patient Support Officer in a primary healthcare center.
- The pharmacist is responsible for monitoring and modifying the therapeutic plan of the patient.
Patient specific drug therapy:
Pharmacist prescribers are responsible for strategizing patient specific drug therapy plan and this should be shared patients to overcome the disease or health condition. Pharmacist should collectall the necessary information as required for controlling the progression of the disease and also the treatment. You can collect this information from patient or caregiver. The information to be collected includes but not limited to the history of medicates taken, diseases, diet, lifestyle (sedentary or active) and socio-economic status.The information obtained is confidential should not be shared with general population. It is always a god idea to check the economic status of the patient whether he or she would be able to afford the prescribed medicines.
Availability of Medications:
The pharmacist prescriber has the duty to make sure the required medications are available at all times to the needy patients. They make sure that his or her patients should get the required medications and the equipment which is required for drug therapy plan. One should explain the disease or medical condition to the patient and also the drug therapy plan which is being discussed and or implemented. This assures patients of the safety and good health. The discussion should be in simple language to the understanding of the patients.
Good health and increased mortality rate can be achieved by constant efforts by pharmaceutical care, physicians and patients. The future of pharmaceutical care provides more rights to the pharmacist and they will have the capacity to judge the best medicine for the patient and design the treatment regimen.